History of the Museum
The Ukrainian American Archives and Museum was founded in 1958 by Mr. Roman Dacko and his wife Ivanka. Upon their arrival to Michigan after World War II, they purchased an imposing building across the street from the Immaculate Conception Ukrainian Catholic Church in Hamtramck, MI. Mr. Dacko began collecting Ukrainian folk art, paintings, ceramics, medals, memorabilia, historical documents, books, and photographs.
Upon their passing, the Museum incorporated as a non-profit 501-C and a Board of Directors was formed. The location proved to be inadequate for the Museum’s increasing collections and planned events. A larger three-level building, which offered more visibility, was purchased on the main street of Hamtramck. This allowed for expanded exhibits and programs suitable for a diverse audience.
The Ukrainian American Archives and Museum is committed to preserving its valuable archives, collection of folk art, library, and fine art, by offering tours, lectures, concerts, exhibits, catalogs, and workshops. Foremost, it is a research and educational center on the Ukrainian immigration to Michigan and their contributions to the United States.
We are members of :
Michigan Non-Profit Association
Historical Society of Michigan
Ukrainian Heritage Consortium of North America
BOARD OF TRUSTEEs
Dr. Andrew Dzul
Dr. Alexander Lebedovych
Olga Sutaruk Meyer